Thoughts on Vollmer

Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 12.35.32 PMI google mapped Boulevard of te Allies in Pennsylvania and here is a picture of what I found. I like that there is actually a bridge, but the water is so murky you definitely wouldn’t be able to see “the windows silver-foiling their reflections of the Hot Metal Bridge”. I like the idea of New Black Dress and the different places you can take it as the reader, but some lines are too ambiguous for my taste, like the first line on page 5, “where otters slide on their backs/in the deep Monongahela”. Why would you bring in otters to a poem about a black dress? If she’s referencing those fur scarf-things, “a deep black dress/holding another creature also/silk and fur and bone”, then usually those are minks or foxes.

Overall I’m conflicted about Vollmer’s poems. Sometimes her form works and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t think the specific references work with her poems, but I think some of her poems are to abstract. I’m excited to hear her talk about her book of poems, maybe that will shed some more light on her process.

Also:

31510643

Tags: , , , ,