Response to “It Is Not Necessary”

I enjoyed reading “It Is Not Necessary” because I’m positive loneliness is universal. The first line is a great lead in because making your own music is necessary to keep in rhythm with the world when you are wandering about.  I love when the first stanza establishes the poem as if it’s a movie or something it’s a nice segue/Segway we can ride into the poem. Being in a crowd and still being alone is what I consider the limit of our lives as human beings. “Public Pedro” and “adequate Bernice” really brings the temporaryness(<—not a word) of the moment Pablo is discussing almost as if we are used by society for a little while and then thrown out of the moving car. Pablo answers much confusion within the poem. He refers to a crowd as a “wide sky” and revisits it or answers it when he says, “Eyes don’t close only in order to sleep,/but so as not to see the same sky.” I always worry about repeating words in a poem but if you are doing it so the critics will get off your back, it’s tactful.

In the third stanza we see how the form and the content of this poem correlate. During the second stanza the “Hidden flower” was truly hidden but by adressing the “hidden flower” in second stanza he brings it into view and now it is only “half-hidden.” “There we suddenly are”, is what i meant when I suggested that we are thrown out of a moving car or moving Czar. I have a hunch that the speaker of the poem, who is Pablo, is single. The best line in the poem, in my opinion is, “Within the four walls of our singular skin”, because Emerson suggests the body as being not “us” but just a vehicle of our “true being.”

I’ll end with one of my soul mate’s quotes Ralph “Where’s Waldo” Emerson:

“Philosophically considered, the universe is composed of Nature and the Soul.  Strictly speaking, therefore, all that is separate from us, all which Philosophy distinguishes as the NOT ME, that is, both nature and art, all other men and my own body, must be ranked under this name, NATURE.”

Tags: , , , , ,